Synonyms for speculation
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : spek-yuh-ley-shuhn|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˌspɛk yəˈleɪ ʃən|
Top 10 synonyms for speculation Other synonyms for the word speculation
- right money
- risky business
- risky venture
- shot in the dark
- smart money
- sneaking suspicion
- speculative enterprise
- stab in the dark
Définition of speculationOrigin :
- late 14c., "contemplation, consideration," from Old French speculation, from Late Latin speculationem (nominative speculatio) "contemplation, observation," from Latin speculatus, past participle of speculari "observe," from specere "to look at, view" (see scope (n.1)). Disparaging sense of "mere conjecture" is recorded from 1570s. Meaning "buying and selling in search of profit from rise and fall of market value" is recorded from 1774; short form spec is attested from 1794.
- noun theory, guess
- noun risk, gamble
- Speculation was rife as to who would inherit the estate which he left behind him.
- Extract from : « Brave and Bold » by Horatio Alger
- We are pure nothings, concerning which speculation is not worth the trouble.
- Extract from : « Weighed and Wanting » by George MacDonald
- Mr Pancks still clung to that word, and never said speculation.
- Extract from : « Little Dorrit » by Charles Dickens
- He had come to Eden on a speculation of this kind, but had abandoned it, and was about to leave.
- Extract from : « Life And Adventures Of Martin Chuzzlewit » by Charles Dickens
- I regret that I wasn't here in those heroic days of speculation.
- Extract from : « The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete » by Emile Zola
- There was question in his mouth, but neither question nor speculation in his eyes.
- Extract from : « Ranald Bannerman's Boyhood » by George MacDonald
- But I forget that speculation about the new life is not writing the history of the old.
- Extract from : « Wilfrid Cumbermede » by George MacDonald
- So much that there had been speculation about their relationship—that didn't interest him.
- Extract from : « Happy Ending » by Fredric Brown
- Whether in practice or speculation, he is to himself only in successive instants.
- Extract from : « Theaetetus » by Plato
- Is not the reconciliation of mind and body a necessity, not only of speculation but of practical life?
- Extract from : « Sophist » by Plato
Antonyms for speculation
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019