Synonyms for space
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : speys|
|Phonetic Transcription : speɪs|
Top 10 synonyms for space Other synonyms for the word space
Définition of spaceOrigin :
- c.1300, "an area, extent, expanse, lapse of time," a shortening of Old French espace, from Latin spatium "room, area, distance, stretch of time," of unknown origin. Astronomical sense of "stellar depths" is first recorded 1667 in "Paradise Lost."
- Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards. [Sir Fred Hoyle, "London Observer," 1979]
- Typographical sense is attested from 1670s (typewriter space bar is from 1888). Space age is attested from 1946; spacewalk is from 1965. Many compounds first appeared in science fiction and speculative writing, e.g. spaceship (1894, "Journey in Other Worlds"); spacesuit (1920); spacecraft (1930, "Scientific American"); space travel (1931); space station (1936, "Rockets Through Space"); spaceman (1942, "Thrilling Wonder Stories;" earlier it meant "journalist paid by the length of his copy," 1892). Space race attested from 1959. Space shuttle attested by 1970.
- noun room, scope
- noun time interval
- Space or place has been said by Kant to be the form of the outward, time of the inward sense.
- Extract from : « Theaetetus » by Plato
- Before the revelations of the soul, Time, Space and Nature shrink away.
- Extract from : « Essays, First Series » by Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Space is said by Plato to be the 'containing vessel or nurse of generation.'
- Extract from : « Timaeus » by Plato
- Space will permit only the keynote of these courageous speeches.
- Extract from : « The History of Woman Suffrage, Volume IV » by Various
- I wish that the author of "Into Space" would write a sequel to his story.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science, June, 1930 » by Various
- Space does not permit us to describe this movement of colonization.
- Extract from : « The Frontier in American History » by Frederick Jackson Turner
- He almost had them believing in the Space Wave Tapper before he was through.
- Extract from : « Toy Shop » by Henry Maxwell Dempsey
- Space will not permit us to go through this list star for star.
- Extract from : « Lectures on Stellar Statistics » by Carl Vilhelm Ludvig Charlier
- A suspense story of Tomorrow and a crisis in the advance into Space.
- Extract from : « Space Prison » by Tom Godwin
- "We were going to talk about the Space Guard," Lyla said in an emotionless tone.
- Extract from : « --And Devious the Line of Duty » by Tom Godwin
Antonyms for space
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019