Synonyms for solitary
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : sol-i-ter-ee|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈsɒl ɪˌtɛr i|
Top 10 synonyms for solitary Other synonyms for the word solitary
Définition of solitaryOrigin :
- mid-14c., "alone, living alone," from Old French solitaire, from Latin solitarius "alone, lonely, isolated," from solitas "loneliness, solitude," from solus "alone" (see sole (adj.)). Meaning "single, sole, only" is from 1742. Related: Solitarily; solitariness. As a noun from late 14c.; from 1854 as short for solitary confinement (that phrase recorded from 1817).
- adj alone, single; unsociable
- In these solitary tours he was busy and happy, working and playing.
- Extract from : « The Spenders » by Harry Leon Wilson
- Here he cooked and ate his meals, and here he spent his solitary evenings.
- Extract from : « Brave and Bold » by Horatio Alger
- Like a sentinel on that solitary plain it overwhelms me with a sense of mystery.
- Extract from : « Ballads of a Bohemian » by Robert W. Service
- When a man is bitten by a snake in a solitary place he is in God's hands.
- Extract from : « Green Mansions » by W. H. Hudson
- It was my bringing up, I fancy, which made me a solitary lad.
- Extract from : « In the Valley » by Harold Frederic
- A solitary ruffian, indeed, is moody, but a gang of ruffians are jovial.
- Extract from : « Night and Morning, Complete » by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- The conduct of this savage had formed a solitary exception to that of all his fellows.
- Extract from : « The Last of the Mohicans » by James Fenimore Cooper
- Evelyn had been prepared to feel an interest in her solitary neighbour.
- Extract from : « Alice, or The Mysteries, Complete » by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- Our disaster was too awful, and the pathos of that solitary survivor too piercing.
- Extract from : « The Comrade In White » by W. H. Leathem
- The one solitary inscription on their house related to a fire-plug.
- Extract from : « The Uncommercial Traveller » by Charles Dickens
Antonyms for solitary
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019