Synonyms for scoff
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : skawf, skof|
|Phonetic Transcription : skɔf, skɒf|
Top 10 synonyms for scoff Other synonyms for the word scoff
Définition of scoffOrigin :
- mid-14c., "jest, make light of something;" mid-15c., "make fun of, mock," from the noun meaning "contemptuous ridicule" (c.1300), from a Scandinavian source, cf. Old Norse skaup, skop "mockery, ridicule," Middle Danish skof "jest, mockery;" perhaps from Proto-Germanic *skub-, *skuf- (cf. Old English scop "poet," Old High German scoph "fiction, sport, jest, derision"), from PIE *skeubh- "to shove" (see shove (v.)).
- verb make fun of; despise
- There was a sort of scoff in it which rightly or wrongly he took to himself.
- Extract from : « The Missionary » by George Griffith
- P—— C—— began to scoff at what I had said, but C—— stopped him.
- Extract from : « The Memoires of Casanova, Complete » by Jacques Casanova de Seingalt
- People might scoff it; though for all that I shall work it out.
- Extract from : « Molly Bawn » by Margaret Wolfe Hamilton
- It seemed to me to rend the darkness, to scoff at my heart and my sweet reasonableness!
- Extract from : « The Choice of Life » by Georgette Leblanc
- Any mother who reads this will, I think, scoff at the notion; and yet I think it was so.
- Extract from : « Kilgorman » by Talbot Baines Reed
- They laugh at our music, they scoff at our arts and twist them into obscene mockeries.
- Extract from : « The Link » by Alan Edward Nourse
- I had almost said "fools who came to scoff remained to pray!"
- Extract from : « Mexico » by Charles Reginald Enock
- Let us not scoff too loudly at their mystic visions and religious rhapsodies!
- Extract from : « Canada: the Empire of the North » by Agnes C. Laut
- You can scoff, old Elephant, but the struggle is worth while.
- Extract from : « Still Jim » by Honor Willsie Morrow
- Anybody who is not in the convention can scoff at it, however low his own code may be.
- Extract from : « Folkways » by William Graham Sumner
Antonyms for scoff
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019