Synonyms for revulsion
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ri-vuhl-shuhn|
|Phonetic Transcription : rɪˈvʌl ʃən|
Top 10 synonyms for revulsion Other synonyms for the word revulsion
Définition of revulsionOrigin :
- 1540s, as a medical term, from Middle French revulsion (16c.) or directly from Latin revulsionem (nominative revulsio) "a tearing off, act of pulling away," noun of action from past participle stem of revellere "to pull away," from re- "away" (see re-) + vellere "to tear, pull," from PIE *wel- "to tear, pull." The meaning "sudden reaction of disgust" is first attested 1816.
- noun disgust, hatred
- The revulsion accentuated her enjoyment of the picturesque aspects of the scene.
- Extract from : « The Leopard Woman » by Stewart Edward White
- The revulsion of feeling, the unspeakable horror, the remorse, was more than I could bear.
- Extract from : « Green Mansions » by W. H. Hudson
- In the revulsion of grief, he turned almost with resentment upon Hamish.
- Extract from : « The Channings » by Mrs. Henry Wood
- In the first revulsion of feeling, I was perhaps unjust to my associates.
- Extract from : « Beauty and The Beast, and Tales From Home » by Bayard Taylor
- "I'll come with you, Gaspare," she said, with a revulsion of feeling.
- Extract from : « A Spirit in Prison » by Robert Hichens
- All that was to come later, with a fresh access of revulsion and disgust.
- Extract from : « The Woman Thou Gavest Me » by Hall Caine
- And then revulsion took me, suddenly and without any cause or warning.
- Extract from : « The Strolling Saint » by Raphael Sabatini
- Of that thought, coming, too, in revulsion to all his late self-gratulations!
- Extract from : « Davenport Dunn, Volume 2 (of 2) » by Charles James Lever
- What might not be anticipated from a revulsion of sentiment in a people like this?
- Extract from : « Charles Lever, His Life in His Letters, Vol. II (of II) » by Edmund Downey
- What revulsion could it be that so suddenly overwhelmed her?
- Extract from : « Barrington » by Charles James Lever
Antonyms for revulsion
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019