Synonyms for raillery
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : rey-luh-ree|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈreɪ lə ri|
Top 10 synonyms for raillery Other synonyms for the word raillery
Définition of railleryOrigin :
- "good-humored ridicule," 1650s, from rail (v.) + -ery, or perhaps from French raillerie, from Middle French railler "to tease" (see rail (v.1)).
- noun banter
- noun bantering
- For my own part, I thought pride in his case an improper subject for raillery.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- Her raillery, like the raillery of princes, was without fear of retort.
- Extract from : « Tales And Novels, Volume 4 (of 10) » by Maria Edgeworth
- I have done with raillery: my first, my only object, is your happiness.
- Extract from : « Tales And Novels, Volume 3 (of 10) » by Maria Edgeworth
- For the edge may be taken off, if it does not make the subject of its raillery wince a little.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 2 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- I was a little afraid of his raillery, and of the quickness of his observation.
- Extract from : « Tales And Novels, Volume 9 (of 10) » by Maria Edgeworth
- "But you are mistaken," replied Guillaume, wounded by Janzen's raillery.
- Extract from : « The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete » by Emile Zola
- The young Count evidently did not comprehend his mother's spirit of raillery.
- Extract from : « City of Endless Night » by Milo Hastings
- Refining the courtship, raillery, and conversation of plays!
- Extract from : « Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine - Volume 57, No. 352, February 1845 » by Various
- Notwithstanding this raillery, all that was said did take place.
- Extract from : « The Memoirs of Count Grammont, Complete » by Anthony Hamilton
- If your mood incline to raillery you'll find your match in some lad of the stables.
- Extract from : « The Shame of Motley » by Raphael Sabatini
Antonyms for raillery
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019