Synonyms for primary
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : prahy-mer-ee, -muh-ree|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈpraɪ mɛr i, -mə ri|
Top 10 synonyms for primary Other synonyms for the word primary
Définition of primaryOrigin :
- early 15c., "of the first order," from Latin primarius "of the first rank, chief, principal, excellent," from primus "first" (see prime (adj.)). Meaning "first in order" is from 1802. Primary color is first recorded 1610s (at first the seven of the spectrum, later the three from which others can be made); primary school is 1802, from French école primaire.
- The Paris journals ... are full of a plan, brought forward by Fourcroy, for the establishment of primary schools, which is not interesting to an English reader. [London "Times," April 27, 1802]
- Related: Primarily.
- adj basic
- To remove this should be the primary object in gymnastic training.
- Extract from : « The Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 10, No. 58, August, 1862 » by Various
- His tone gave first place, primary consideration, to his work.
- Extract from : « Bride of the Mistletoe » by James Lane Allen
- The primary—ah, booster, as you say, breaks free at twelve miles.
- Extract from : « The Big Tomorrow » by Paul Lohrman
- Its primary value, its primary indication, is for the teacher, not for the child.
- Extract from : « The Child and the Curriculum » by John Dewey
- Persons are supplementary to the primary teaching of the soul.
- Extract from : « Essays, First Series » by Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Now all unmixed and primary bodies are produced by such causes as these.
- Extract from : « Timaeus » by Plato
- The argument is secondary, the finish of the verses is primary.
- Extract from : « Essays, Second Series » by Ralph Waldo Emerson
- This, then, let us understand, is the primary object of all college teaching in this department.
- Extract from : « College Teaching » by Paul Klapper
- Tree-fruits are evaporated as by-products, but the raisin is a primary product.
- Extract from : « Manual of American Grape-Growing » by U. P. Hedrick
- Procreation is one of the uses of sex-love, but it is not its primary function.
- Extract from : « Sex=The Unknown Quantity » by Ali Nomad
Antonyms for primary
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019