Synonyms for petty
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : pet-ee|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈpɛt i|
Top 10 synonyms for petty Other synonyms for the word petty
Définition of pettyOrigin :
- late 14c., "small," from phonemic spelling of Old French petit "small" (see petit). In English, not originally disparaging (cf. petty cash, 1834; petty officer, 1570s). Meaning "of small importance" is recorded from 1520s; that of "small-minded" is from 1580s. Related: Pettily; pettiness. An old name for "Northern Lights" was petty dancers.
- adj trivial, insignificant
- What did he care then for Halbert Davis and his petty malice!
- Extract from : « Brave and Bold » by Horatio Alger
- Not that in his presence she became vain or petty or jealous; that would have been impossible.
- Extract from : « Malbone » by Thomas Wentworth Higginson
- No matter by what petty trials they were caught so that they were really caught.
- Extract from : « Ester Ried Yet Speaking » by Isabella Alden
- Now that he was gone there would be nothing but quarrels and petty jealousies.
- Extract from : « The Trail Book » by Mary Austin
- This kind of petty bribery is, of course, abominable, and should never be countenanced.
- Extract from : « The Underdog » by F. Hopkinson Smith
- One of the mates, and two of the petty officers, could speak a little English.
- Extract from : « Ned Myers » by James Fenimore Cooper
- But the formal exterior of that petty pompous man I cannot penetrate.
- Extract from : « City of Endless Night » by Milo Hastings
- Petty was a most indefatigable contriver, inventor, and organizer of industry.
- Extract from : « Self-Help » by Samuel Smiles
- There is no one who can use me unless it be some petty state which needs mercenaries.
- Extract from : « Louisiana Lou » by William West Winter
- Every petty bourgeois in a democratic community has a chance of rising and wishes to do so.
- Extract from : « Fruitfulness » by Emile Zola
Antonyms for petty
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019