Synonyms for paramour
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : par-uh-moo r|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈpær əˌmʊər|
Top 10 synonyms for paramour Other synonyms for the word paramour
Définition of paramourOrigin :
- c.1300, noun use of adverbial phrase par amour (c.1300) "passionately, with strong love or desire," from Anglo-French and Old French par amour, from accusative of amor "love," from amare "to love" (see Amy). Originally a term for Christ (by women) or the Virgin Mary (by men), it came to mean "darling, sweetheart" (mid-14c.) and "mistress, concubine, clandestine lover" (late 14c.).
- noun lover
- The king himself now asserts it was because he had tried to seduce his paramour.
- Extract from : « Cyropaedia » by Xenophon
- It is so easy to punish the woman, and yet it is not proved that she was worse than her paramour.
- Extract from : « Broken Bread » by Thomas Champness
- How can you be the paramour type if you refuse to fall in love foolishly?
- Extract from : « The Perfectionists » by Arnold Castle
- I deduced he was her paramour, husband or close relative, perhaps a brother.
- Extract from : « Valley of the Croen » by Lee Tarbell
- For some months she enjoyed with her paramour all for which she had sighed in her home.
- Extract from : « Paul Clifford, Complete » by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- Come—I am impatient to shed your blood, and that of your paramour.
- Extract from : « My Life: or the Adventures of Geo. Thompson » by George Thompson
- If her paramour is of low caste similar to herself, he has to marry her.
- Extract from : « Castes and Tribes of Southern India » by Edgar Thurston
- He disgraced his honored name by actually marrying his paramour.
- Extract from : « Facts And Fictions Of Life » by Helen H. Gardener
- Gyges loved a paramour so passionately that she governed him and the kingdom.
- Extract from : « The History of Antiquity, Vol. III (of VI) » by Max Duncker
- And so she took him at night into that cellar to his wife, who was expecting her paramour the leper.
- Extract from : « The Kath Sarit Sgara » by Somadeva Bhatta
Antonyms for paramour
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019