Synonyms for par
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : pahr|
|Phonetic Transcription : pɑr|
Top 10 synonyms for par Other synonyms for the word par
Définition of parOrigin :
- 1620s, "equality," also "value of one currency in terms of another," from Latin par "equal, equal-sized, well-matched," also as a noun, "that which is equal, equality," of unknown origin. Watkins suggests perhaps from PIE root *pere- "to grant, allot," with suggestion of reciprocality (see part (n.)).
- Another guess connects it with PIE root *per- "to traffic in, sell" (on notion of "give equal value for"); see pornography. Meaning "average or usual amount" is first attested 1767. Golf usage is first attested 1898. Figurative use of par for the course is from 1928.
- noun average, equilibrium
- The modest ones and I, particularly, are pretty much upon a par.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 3 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- He appeared to place the regimental orderly book on a par with the Bible.
- Extract from : « The Downfall » by Emile Zola
- These are his "set," par excellence, and he knows them thoroughly.
- Extract from : « One Of Them » by Charles James Lever
- Some continental authorities place him on a par with Tourte.
- Extract from : « The Bow, Its History, Manufacture and Use » by Henry Saint-George
- Par Saint Jaaques, they know where to make themselves merry.
- Extract from : « Tom Burke Of "Ours", Volume I (of II) » by Charles James Lever
- But, par exemple, I am not responsible for what Clarke will do with him afterwards.
- Extract from : « A Set of Six » by Joseph Conrad
- But, par example, I am not responsible for what Clarke will do with him.
- Extract from : « The Point Of Honor » by Joseph Conrad
- If these people were on a par with the farmers of New England, would it last for an hour?
- Extract from : « Among the Pines » by James R. Gilmore
- He was, par excellence, a man of his time: in many ways even in advance of it.
- Extract from : « The Genius » by Margaret Horton Potter
- What Inflection is placed on the rhetorical questions in par.
- Extract from : « The Ontario High School Reader » by A.E. Marty
Antonyms for par
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019