Synonyms for misfire
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : verb mis-fiuh r; noun mis-fahyuh r|
|Phonetic Transcription : verb mɪsˈfɪər; noun ˈmɪsˌfaɪər|
Top 10 synonyms for misfire Other synonyms for the word misfire
Définition of misfireOrigin :
- 1752, of a gun, 1905, of an internal combustion engine; see mis- (1) + fire (v.). Related: Misfired; misfiring. The noun is attested from 1839.
- verb fail
- The unexpectedness of this misfire positively overcame his faculties.
- Extract from : « Chance » by Joseph Conrad
- He tried again, in case it was just a misfire, but there was still only the click.
- Extract from : « Deathworld » by Harry Harrison
- "Misfire threw him off," exclaimed the spectators afterward.
- Extract from : « The Adventures of Bobby Orde » by Stewart Edward White
- Simultaneously one cylinder starts to misfire, and then another.
- Extract from : « Across America by Motor-cycle » by C. K. Shepherd
- From the position of the check-lever you realise that there has been a misfire.
- Extract from : « Cavalry of the Clouds » by Alan Bott
- Very cheap; safe after misfire because oxygen evaporates off.
- Extract from : « The New Gresham Encyclopedia » by Various
- First hardly hurt me at all, and the second one was quite a misfire.
- Extract from : « The Loom of Youth » by Alec Waugh
- If it has one misfire in every twenty shots, or so, it does not matter, the great thing being to have it cock easily.
- Extract from : « Automatic Pistol Shooting » by Walter Winans
- Matt's hopes were dashed somewhat by sounds which told him Chub's machine was beginning to misfire.
- Extract from : « Motor Matt's Race » by Stanley R. Matthews
- As if the troubles Matt had had were not enough, on the road toward the river the motor began to misfire.
- Extract from : « Motor Matt's Triumph, or, Three Speeds Forward » by Stanley R. Matthews
Antonyms for misfire
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019