Synonyms for mediate
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : verb mee-dee-eyt; adjective mee-dee-it|
|Phonetic Transcription : verb ˈmi diˌeɪt; adjective ˈmi di ɪt|
Top 10 synonyms for mediate Other synonyms for the word mediate
Définition of mediateOrigin :
- 1540s, "divide in two equal parts," probably a back-formation from mediation or mediator, or else from Latin mediatus, past participle of mediare. Meaning "act as a mediator" is from 1610s; that of "settle by mediation" is from 1560s. Related: Mediated, mediates, mediating.
- verb try to bring to an agreement
- At the same time, offer to mediate between Germany and Japan.
- Extract from : « The Story of the Great War, Volume VI (of VIII) » by Various
- Shall I try to mediate—as a neutral, as a benevolent neutral?
- Extract from : « The Rescue » by Joseph Conrad
- However, startled as she was, Clare came out of her corner to mediate.
- Extract from : « Clare Avery » by Emily Sarah Holt
- A conference was, therefore, agreed upon, in which England was to mediate.
- Extract from : « The Reign of Mary Tudor » by W. Llewelyn Williams.
- To this the Ash'arans reply that orders are of two kinds, immediate and mediate.
- Extract from : « The Faith of Islam » by Edward Sell
- It was part of his duty to mediate between the contending parties.
- Extract from : « The History of Tasmania, Volume I (of 2) » by John West
- The answer is, the action of the will is mediate, not direct.
- Extract from : « Fragments of science, V. 1-2 » by John Tyndall
- Thus she seeks to mediate him with her country and her hearth.
- Extract from : « Homer's Odyssey » by Denton J. Snider
- To nature pleasure is a mediate object, to art its main object.
- Extract from : « The Aesthetical Essays » by Friedrich Schiller
- He considered it his special mission in the world to mediate.
- Extract from : « The Life of John of Barneveld, 1614-23, Volume II. » by John Lothrop Motley
Antonyms for mediate
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019