Synonyms for indigenous
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : in-dij-uh-nuhs|
|Phonetic Transcription : ɪnˈdɪdʒ ə nəs|
Top 10 synonyms for indigenous Other synonyms for the word indigenous
Définition of indigenousOrigin :
- 1640s, from Late Latin indigenus "born in a country, native," from Latin indigena "sprung from the land," as a noun, "a native," literally "in-born," or "born in (a place)," from Old Latin indu "in, within" (earlier endo) + *gene-, root of gignere (perf. genui) "beget," from PIE *gen- "produce" (see genus).
- adj native, inborn
- The offspring of pride, and lust, and avarice, it is indigenous to the world.
- Extract from : « The Works of Whittier, Volume VII (of VII) » by John Greenleaf Whittier
- Grandeur, however, like sentiment, is not indigenous to the hearth.
- Extract from : « Roden's Corner » by Henry Seton Merriman
- Tobacco is indigenous in Mexico, and derives its name from Tabaco in Yucatan.
- Extract from : « Aztec Land » by Maturin M. Ballou
- There is not the slightest doubt that the Cotton plant is indigenous to Peru.
- Extract from : « The Story of the Cotton Plant » by Frederick Wilkinson
- There are no indigenous breeds of either cattle or sheep in this country.
- Extract from : « The Continental Monthly, Vol. 5, No. 5, May, 1864 » by Various
- Naturalisation of forms distinct from the indigenous species, 115.
- Extract from : « On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection » by Charles Darwin
- Out of my own mind, unquestionably; but how did it come there—was it the indigenous growth of the mind?
- Extract from : « Lavengro » by George Borrow
- Its indigenous inhabitants have made no progress toward civilisation.
- Extract from : « Up To Date Business » by Various
- I note that the movement takes note of all indigenous industries.
- Extract from : « Third class in Indian railways » by Mahatma Gandhi
- In fact all the indigenous and most ancient usages of the villages are democratic.
- Extract from : « Folkways » by William Graham Sumner
Antonyms for indigenous
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019