Synonyms for fastidious
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : fa-stid-ee-uh s, fuh-|
|Phonetic Transcription : fæˈstɪd i əs, fə-|
Top 10 synonyms for fastidious Other synonyms for the word fastidious
Définition of fastidiousOrigin :
- mid-15c., "full of pride," from Latin fastidiosus "disdainful, squeamish, exacting," from fastidium "loathing, squeamishness," most likely from *fastu-taidiom, a compound of fastus "contempt, arrogance" and taedium "aversion, disgust." Early use in English was both in passive and active senses. Meaning "squeamish, over-nice" emerged in English 1610s. Related: Fastidiously; fastidiousness.
- adj very careful, meticulous
- What would he, so fastidious as he was, think of that poster?
- Extract from : « The Bacillus of Beauty » by Harriet Stark
- The squirrel is provident, but no more so than he is fastidious in the choice of his food.
- Extract from : « Life: Its True Genesis » by R. W. Wright
- However, she was as fastidious about what she did for herself as about what was done for her.
- Extract from : « Southern Lights and Shadows » by Various
- You can afford, you see, to keep a fine taste, and fastidious feelings!
- Extract from : « The Coryston Family » by Mrs. Humphry Ward
- And yet the picture before him could have scarcely been unpleasing to the most fastidious eye.
- Extract from : « Henry Dunbar » by M. E. Braddon
- But this establishment cannot please the fastidious Mr. Benson!
- Extract from : « The International Monthly, Volume 3, No. 2, May, 1851 » by Various
- Parents were not so fastidious as previously in the choice of a son-in-law.
- Extract from : « The Fortune of the Rougons » by Emile Zola
- But Alston was fastidious, and he kept his mind as far away from the serpent as possible.
- Extract from : « The Prisoner » by Alice Brown
- Like all men of his class, he was fastidious over his food and wines.
- Extract from : « The White Lie » by William Le Queux
- Better retire than be obnoxious to even the most fastidious.
- Extract from : « The Etiquette of To-day » by Edith B. Ordway
Antonyms for fastidious
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019