Synonyms for extenuate
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ik-sten-yoo-eyt|
|Phonetic Transcription : ɪkˈstɛn yuˌeɪt|
Top 10 synonyms for extenuate Other synonyms for the word extenuate
Définition of extenuateOrigin :
- 1520s, from Latin extenuatus, past participle of extenuare "lessen, make small, reduce, diminish," from ex- "out" (see ex-) + tenuare "make thin," from tenuis "thin" (see tenet). Related: Extenuated; extenuating. Extenuating circumstances attested from 1660s.
- verb lessen, mitigate
- Whatever tends to extenuate the guilt of other sins, is an aggravation of this.
- Extract from : « Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. I » by Francis Augustus Cox
- In such circumstances I cannot seek to extenuate any of my faults or follies.
- Extract from : « Tales And Novels, Volume 8 (of 10) » by Maria Edgeworth
- Above disguise, above art, above attempting to extenuate a failing.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 3 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- They attempted to extenuate their crimes by the hardships they had suffered, but in vain.
- Extract from : « The History of Tasmania , Volume II (of 2) » by John West
- There was a vindictiveness in these crimes which no plea can extenuate.
- Extract from : « The Land We Live In » by Henry Mann
- I do not extenuate my own offences, but I will not criminate others.
- Extract from : « Helen and Arthur » by Caroline Lee Hentz
- These may extenuate though they cannot justify the crime I have committed.
- Extract from : « The Lonely Island » by R.M. Ballantyne
- If you cannot extenuate her fault, you can at least remember her provocations.'
- Extract from : « Lover or Friend » by Rosa Nouchette Carey
- What is it to extenuate, and how does that word compare with palliate?
- Extract from : « English Synonyms and Antonyms » by James Champlin Fernald
- If this plea cannot establish my innocence, it must excuse or at least extenuate my guilt.
- Extract from : « A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System of Professed Christians, in the Middle and Higher Classes in this Country, Contrasted with Real Christianity. » by William Wilberforce
Antonyms for extenuate
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019