Synonyms for evacuate
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ih-vak-yoo-eyt|
|Phonetic Transcription : ɪˈvæk yuˌeɪt|
Top 10 synonyms for evacuate Other synonyms for the word evacuate
Définition of evacuateOrigin :
- 1520s, from Latin evacuatus, past participle of evacuare "to empty, make void, nullify," used by Pliny in reference to the bowels, used figuratively in Late Latin for "clear out," from ex- "out" (see ex-) + vacuus "empty" (see vacuum).
- Earliest sense in English is medical. Meaning "remove inhabitants to safer ground" is from 1934. Replaced Middle English evacuen (c.1400). Related: Evacuated; evacuating.
- verb clear an area; empty
- It'll take all of forty minutes to evacuate, and the Mercutians may be on us by then.
- Extract from : « Slaves of Mercury » by Nat Schachner
- On November 11, 1914, the Serbians were compelled to evacuate this city.
- Extract from : « The Story of the Great War, Volume II (of VIII) » by Various
- On the other hand, they were forced to evacuate some of their positions east of Kiselin.
- Extract from : « The Story of the Great War, Volume VI (of VIII) » by Various
- Remember, Dr. Harris, we've got to evacuate the city first of all!
- Extract from : « One-Shot » by James Benjamin Blish
- The despatch reached the French just as they were preparing to evacuate Cairo.
- Extract from : « At Aboukir and Acre » by George Alfred Henty
- Then the British acknowledged Anda as Governor, and proceeded to evacuate the city.
- Extract from : « The Philippine Islands » by John Foreman
- The message had come from General Lee of the order to evacuate Richmond!
- Extract from : « Ten American Girls From History » by Kate Dickinson Sweetser
- The population will evacuate Ensfield, leaving all action to the police.
- Extract from : « The Pirates of Ersatz » by Murray Leinster
- Most questionable was the decision of Ministers to evacuate the Helder and the Texel.
- Extract from : « William Pitt and the Great War » by John Holland Rose
- Get wounded aboard transports and prepare to evacuate troops.
- Extract from : « Tulan » by Carroll Mather Capps
Antonyms for evacuate
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019