Synonyms for den
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : den|
|Phonetic Transcription : dɛn|
Top 10 synonyms for den Other synonyms for the word den
Définition of denOrigin :
- Old English denn "wild animal's lair," from Proto-Germanic *danjan (cf. Middle Low German denne "lowland, wooded vale, den," Old English denu "valley," Old Frisian dene "down," Old High German tenni, German tenne "threshing floor," from PIE *dan- "low ground"). Sense of "small room" is 1771, originally colloquial.
- noun cavern, hideaway
- noun room for relaxation or informal
- Yates threw off his coat, and went to work as if he were in his own den in the Argus building.
- Extract from : « In the Midst of Alarms » by Robert Barr
- This was not surprising, for the den was only half a mile away.
- Extract from : « Johnny Bear » by E. T. Seton
- He neither affects to show himself, nor lies sullen in his den.
- Extract from : « Tales And Novels, Volume 9 (of 10) » by Maria Edgeworth
- All his old prejudices were reviving; it was as if he were going to some ogre's den.
- Extract from : « The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete » by Emile Zola
- He retired into his den, and presently emerged with a sheet of paper in his hand.
- Extract from : « Jennie Baxter, Journalist » by Robert Barr
- My stowaway was making for his den when I said, "How about to-morrow?"
- Extract from : « In a Steamer Chair and Other Stories » by Robert Barr
- The demon of oppression had hidden her head ashamed, and fled to her den!
- Extract from : « Ranald Bannerman's Boyhood » by George MacDonald
- Then I came out of my den, and again made my way to Wareham.
- Extract from : « The Autobiography of Sergeant William Lawrence » by William Lawrence
- You can consider it a special mark of favour, for this is my own den.
- Extract from : « The Avenger » by E. Phillips Oppenheim
- When they had gone he went into the den and came back with the pumpkin.
- Extract from : « Weak on Square Roots » by Russell Burton
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019