Synonyms for contemporary
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : kuhn-tem-puh-rer-ee|
|Phonetic Transcription : kənˈtɛm pəˌrɛr i|
Top 10 synonyms for contemporary Other synonyms for the word contemporary
- à la mode
- au courant
- hot off press
- in fashion
- in vogue
- just out
- with it
Définition of contemporaryOrigin :
- 1630s, from Medieval Latin contemporarius, from Latin com- "with" (see com-) + temporarius "of time," from tempus "time" (see temporal (v.)). Meaning "modern, characteristic of the present" is from 1866.
- adj modern
- adj existing, occurring at same time
- This statement is abundantly confirmed by contemporary facts.
- Extract from : « The Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 10, No. 58, August, 1862 » by Various
- Note 18: Mr. Robinson was educated at Harrow, and was a contemporary of Mr. Sheridan.
- Extract from : « Beaux and Belles of England » by Mary Robinson
- The period is contemporary with the peruke––the period is the peruke of style.
- Extract from : « Leading Articles on Various Subjects » by Hugh Miller
- The italics are ours: the satisfaction appears to be our contemporary's.
- Extract from : « Punch or the London Charivari, Vol. 147, November 25, 1914 » by Various
- We do not care for their “ideals” expounded in contemporary histories and eulogies.
- Extract from : « Cooking and Dining in Imperial Rome » by Apicius
- But what was the contemporary significance of these resolutions?
- Extract from : « Patrick Henry » by Moses Coit Tyler
- This would appear to be the only true reading of contemporary events.
- Extract from : « England and Germany » by Emile Joseph Dillon
- Every one has heard of the Beauty Bedingfield; but she was my mother's contemporary.
- Extract from : « Sir Brook Fossbrooke, Volume I. » by Charles James Lever
- I have become a contemporary of David and the patriarchs of Israel.
- Extract from : « Where Half The World Is Waking Up » by Clarence Poe
- The most notable of these are the comments of his friend and contemporary, Ben Jonson.
- Extract from : « The Facts About Shakespeare » by William Allan Nielson
Antonyms for contemporary
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019