Synonyms for compendium
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : kuhm-pen-dee-uhm|
|Phonetic Transcription : kəmˈpɛn di əm|
Top 10 synonyms for compendium Other synonyms for the word compendium
Définition of compendiumOrigin :
- 1580s, from Latin compendium "a shortening, saving," literally "that which is weighed together," from compendere "to weigh together," from com- "together" (see com-) + pendere "to weigh" (see pendant). Borrowed earlier as compendi (mid-15c.).
- noun abridgment
- The ballot is the compendium of all there is in civilization, and of all that civilization has done for us.
- Extract from : « The History of Woman Suffrage, Volume IV » by Various
- His compendium of Galen was the text-book of medicine in the West for many centuries.
- Extract from : « Old-Time Makers of Medicine » by James J. Walsh
- She was worth her wages to the office merely as a compendium of shams.
- Extract from : « In Our Town » by William Allen White
- Johnstown is a compendium of business, and misery, and despair.
- Extract from : « History of the Johnstown Flood » by Willis Fletcher Johnson
- He began a compendium of religions, then of literature, and last of the Romance languages.
- Extract from : « Idling in Italy » by Joseph Collins
- Originally a hunting-lodge of the Frankish kings; the Romans called it Compendium.
- Extract from : « Joan of Arc » by Laura E. Richards
- Therefore is he a compendium of much out-of-the-way and covert knowledge.
- Extract from : « Tropic Days » by E. J. Banfield
- He compiled and published a Compendium of Natural Philosophy, in five volumes.
- Extract from : « The Young People's Wesley » by W. McDonald
- They lived about 1230, and dying, left behind them a compendium of their medical practice.
- Extract from : « British Goblins » by Wirt Sikes
- Tis a Compendium of our Proceedings and may save you the Trouble of reading them.
- Extract from : « Benjamin Franklin; Self-Revealed, Volume II (of 2) » by Wiliam Cabell Bruce
Antonyms for compendium
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019