Synonyms for assault
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : uh-sawlt|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈsɔlt|
Top 10 synonyms for assault Other synonyms for the word assault
Définition of assaultOrigin :
- late 14c., earlier asaut (c.1200), from Old French asaut, assaut "an attack, an assault, attacking forces" (12c.), from Vulgar Latin *adsaltus "attack, assault," from ad "to" (see ad-) + Latin saltus "a leap," from salire "to leap, spring" (see assail). In law by 1580s; historically, assault includes menacing words or actions; battery is an actual blow.
- noun attack
- verb attack
- It was more like abduction complicated with assault and battery.
- Extract from : « The Spenders » by Harry Leon Wilson
- Nor is there in this view any assault upon the court or the judges.
- Extract from : « United States Presidents' Inaugural Speeches » by Various
- Next day the assault was repeated, but again without success.
- Extract from : « Stories from Thucydides » by H. L. Havell
- Now, with strong reinforcements, he is preparing for a third assault.
- Extract from : « Camps, Quarters and Casual Places » by Archibald Forbes
- How can you swear, then, that the prisoner made the assault?
- Extract from : « The Underdog » by F. Hopkinson Smith
- The machine was completed, and the ensuing morning fixed for the assault.
- Extract from : « Maid Marian » by Thomas Love Peacock
- He knew he could defend himself from any assault the crew might make in that condition.
- Extract from : « The Cruise of the Dry Dock » by T. S. Stribling
- During the assault the French lost 700 and the Americans 240 killed.
- Extract from : « The History of the First West India Regiment » by A. B. Ellis
- In the assault like the eagle at the fall of rivers thou wert.
- Extract from : « Y Gododin » by Aneurin
- This is the initial symptom of the complaint, and may lead to the commission of assault.
- Extract from : « The Sexual Question » by August Forel
Antonyms for assault
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019