Synonyms for agonizing
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : ag-uh-nahy-zing|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈæg əˌnaɪ zɪŋ|
Top 10 synonyms for agonizing Other synonyms for the word agonizing
Définition of agonizingOrigin :
- 1580s, "to torture," from Middle French agoniser or directly from Medieval Latin agonizare, from Greek agonizesthai "to contend in the struggle" (see agony). Intransitive sense of "to suffer physical pain" is recorded from 1660s. That of "to worry intensely" is from 1853. Related: Agonized; agonizing.
- adj difficult and painful, suffering
- Take a very common instance of this agonizing incompatibility.
- Extract from : « A Treatise on Parents and Children » by George Bernard Shaw
- The thirst of the snow fields is most agonizing, and can only be likened to the thirst of the desert.
- Extract from : « The Long Labrador Trail » by Dillon Wallace
- But where was the mother during these fearful and agonizing moments!
- Extract from : « Graham's Magazine Vol XXXII No. 6 June 1848 » by Various
- Nan, agonizing in her suspense, cried out she must join him and go with him if he went.
- Extract from : « Nan of Music Mountain » by Frank H. Spearman
- The struggle was fearful and agonizing, but the victory triumphant.
- Extract from : « Ernest Linwood » by Caroline Lee Hentz
- The sound of the wailing voices in song came to her on the breeze, agonizing in its beauty.
- Extract from : « Gigolo » by Edna Ferber
- Fighting his own agonizing weakness, he pulled himself upright.
- Extract from : « The Colors of Space » by Marion Zimmer Bradley
- He was seeing, seeing, seeing, and what he saw was agonizing.
- Extract from : « The Rich Little Poor Boy » by Eleanor Gates
- He could not sleep, and seemed to pass the whole night in agonizing prayer.
- Extract from : « Louis XIV., Makers of History Series » by John S. C. Abbott
- And so, in agonizing resignation, she set herself the task of waiting—for what?
- Extract from : « Germinie Lacerteux » by Edmond and Jules de Goncourt
Antonyms for agonizing
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019