Synonyms for agnate
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : ag-neyt|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈæg neɪt|
Définition of agnate
- adj kindred
- A man may not marry the widow of his brother, or of an agnate.
- Extract from : « Castes and Tribes of Southern India » by Edgar Thurston
- Failing an agnate, a member of the gens of the dead man is to inherit.
- Extract from : « Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 10, Slice 2 » by Various
- When the father died, the nearest male of kin, even though declared unqualified as an agnate, came in as guardian.
- Extract from : « Woman under socialism » by August Bebel
- (a) If a free person is abducted, the fine shall be divided equally between his agnate and cognate heirs and the treasury.
- Extract from : « Studies in Moro History, Law, and Religion » by Najeeb M. Saleeby
- In Korea, for instance, he can only adopt an agnate and one of a lower generation than his own.
- Extract from : « The Soul of the Far East » by Percival Lowell
Words or expressions associated with your search
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019