Synonyms for aftermath
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : af-ter-math, ahf-|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈæf tərˌmæθ, ˈɑf-|
Top 10 synonyms for aftermath Other synonyms for the word aftermath
Définition of aftermathOrigin :
- 1520s, originally a second crop of grass grown after the first had been harvested, from after + -math, a dialectal word, from Old English mæð "a mowing, cutting of grass" (see math (n.2)). Figurative sense by 1650s. Cf. French regain "aftermath," from re- + Old French gain, gaain "grass which grows in meadows that have been mown," from a Germanic source, cf. Old High German weida "grass, pasture"
- noun situation following an event, occurrence
- But in her sweet way she had given him her woman's aftermath of love.
- Extract from : « Viviette » by William J. Locke
- The aftermath, however, does not come up to the expectations of the good Medium.
- Extract from : « The Book of Khalid » by Ameen Rihani
- A friendship which is the aftermath of love is the shadow after the substance.
- Extract from : « Glory of Youth » by Temple Bailey
- We hear about "The jack of all trades," but the aftermath of the jack of all trades is "master of none."
- Extract from : « Dollars and Sense » by Col. Wm. C. Hunter
- I need not detail the aftermath of our emergence from the atom.
- Extract from : « Beyond the Vanishing Point » by Raymond King Cummings
- With one aftermath of the Pilgrimage of Grace he had yet to deal.
- Extract from : « Henry VIII. » by A. F. Pollard
- And to the aftermath that follows for all who win too easily and too soon.
- Extract from : « When Winter Comes to Main Street » by Grant Martin Overton
- "That might be no more than the aftermath of deep shock," Cal said.
- Extract from : « Eight Keys to Eden » by Mark Irvin Clifton
- In Norfolk this is called "aftermath eddish," and "rowans" or "rawins."
- Extract from : « Notes and Queries, Number 201, September 3, 1853 » by Various
- But these things were the aftermath of a harvest reaped by half a dozen sentences.
- Extract from : « A Son of the Immortals » by Louis Tracy
Antonyms for aftermath
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019