Synonyms for affronting
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-fruhnt|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈfrʌnt|
Top 10 synonyms for affronting Other synonyms for the word affronting
Définition of affrontingOrigin :
- 1590s, from affront (v.).
- verb insult or involve in entanglement
- “Allah preserve us from affronting him,” whispered the caliph.
- Extract from : « The Pacha of Many Tales » by Frederick Marryat
- I could not, were my very life at stake, think of affronting them by not doffing my hat.
- Extract from : « The Disowned, Complete » by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- And turned off for pinching the duenna, or affronting my lady's waiting-woman?
- Extract from : « The Abbot » by Sir Walter Scott
- As if he felt himself full to the throat with affronting sentiments.
- Extract from : « Our Mutual Friend » by Charles Dickens
- Somehow the old unbridled passions rose up within me and I succeeded in affronting Edmée with my fierce speech.
- Extract from : « The World's Greatest Books, Vol VII » by Various
- She amazed him, sitting there in the purple stockings and the affronting gown, and he admired.
- Extract from : « The Pretty Lady » by Arnold E. Bennett
- But in his eagerness to secure the alliance of Florence, he committed the fatal mistake of affronting the Venetians.
- Extract from : « Beatrice d'Este, Duchess of Milan, 1475-1497 » by Julia Mary Cartwright
- Mrs Moodie tried every means of affronting her, but long without success.
- Extract from : « Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, Volume 71, No. 437, March 1852 » by Various
- He paused for a moment to look out; his heart beat uncomfortably, as though he were affronting some unknown danger.
- Extract from : « Crome Yellow » by Aldous Huxley
- And now by affronting of both the Armies, the plots and labours of many moneths, were reduced to the hazard of a few houres.
- Extract from : « The Lives of the III Normans, Kings of England: William the First, William the Second, Henrie the First » by John Hayward
Antonyms for affronting
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019