Synonyms for afforded
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-fawrd, uh-fohrd|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈfɔrd, əˈfoʊrd|
Top 10 synonyms for afforded Other synonyms for the word afforded
Définition of affordedOrigin :
- Old English geforðian "to put forth, contribute; further, advance; carry out, accomplish," from ge- completive prefix (see a- (1)) + forðian "to further," from forð "forward, onward" (see forth).
- Change of -th- to -d- took place late 16c. (and also transformed burthen and murther into their modern forms). Prefix shift to af- took place 16c. under mistaken belief that it was a Latin word in ad-. Notion of "accomplish" (late Old English) gradually became "manage to buy or maintain; have enough money (to do something)" (1833). Older sense is preserved in afford (one) an opportunity. Related: Afforded; affording.
- verb able to have or do; within financial means
- verb give, produce
- Here too experience has afforded us the most satisfactory proof in its favor.
- Extract from : « United States Presidents' Inaugural Speeches » by Various
- But I was not content with the first view that had been afforded me at the Exchange.
- Extract from : « Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, No. 327 » by Various
- And the beard shut out the indications which the mouth and chin might have afforded.
- Extract from : « The Night Riders » by Ridgwell Cullum
- Ganymede was of a tenacious mettle, and of this he now afforded proof.
- Extract from : « Bardelys the Magnificent » by Rafael Sabatini
- Samoval observed this rather with contempt than with satisfaction in the advantage it afforded him.
- Extract from : « The Snare » by Rafael Sabatini
- But it afforded the last drop to the cup of Philip's mistrust.
- Extract from : « The Historical Nights' Entertainment » by Rafael Sabatini
- The presence of this gross suitor of hers afforded her another source of satisfaction.
- Extract from : « St. Martin's Summer » by Rafael Sabatini
- Certain evidence is afforded by the known facts of the case, scant as they are.
- Extract from : « The Life of Cesare Borgia » by Raphael Sabatini
- None was afforded him by his fellow-revellers, who one and all hung back in silence.
- Extract from : « The Tavern Knight » by Rafael Sabatini
- And yet what security is afforded by a present abatement of the visitation?
- Extract from : « Journal of a Residence at Bagdad » by Anthony Groves
Antonyms for afforded
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019