Synonyms for adonises
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : uh-don-is, uh-doh-nis|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈdɒn ɪs, əˈdoʊ nɪs|
Top 10 synonyms for adonises Other synonyms for the word adonises
Définition of adonisesOrigin :
- "a beau," 1620s, from Greek Adonis, name of the youth beloved by Aphrodite, from Phoenician adon "lord," probably originally "ruler," from base a-d-n "to judge, rule." Adonai is the Hebrew cognate.
- As in beauty : noun good-looking person
- As in sex symbol : noun person who is sexual ideal
- Adonises are very neat in habit, and the foliage is fine and interesting.
- Extract from : « The Practical Garden-Book » by C. E. Hunn
- A long line of more or less successful Adonises have followed in his footsteps.
- Extract from : « In Vanity Fair » by Eleanor Hoyt Brainerd
- At least some of the delphiniums, papavers and adonises germinate very imperfectly, if at all, in direct light.
- Extract from : « The Nursery Book » by Liberty Hyde Bailey
- Peasants imagine themselves princes; Calibans believe themselves to be Adonises; beggars imagine themselves millionaires.
- Extract from : « The Confessions of a Caricaturist, Vol 2 (of 2) » by Harry Furniss
- They are not Apollos, and Venuses, nor Adonises, that knock at painters' doors.
- Extract from : « Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine -- Volume 55, No. 340, February, 1844 » by Various
Antonyms for adonises
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019