Synonyms for adolescents
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ad-l-es-uhnt|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˌæd lˈɛs ənt|
Définition of adolescentsOrigin :
- mid-15c., "youth, young man," from Middle French adolescent (15c.) or directly from Latin adolescentem (nominative adolescens) "growing, near maturity, youthful," present participle of adolescere "grow up, come to maturity, ripen," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + alescere "be nourished," hence, "increase, grow up," inchoative of alere "to nourish" (see old). Adolesce was a back-formed verb used early 20c. by H.G. Wells, G.B. Shaw, Louis MacNeice, but it seems not to have taken.
- noun person in puberty, preadulthood
- The most typical of these attacks are among children or adolescents.
- Extract from : « A System of Practical Medicine by American Authors, Vol. I » by Various
- Adolescents are particularly vulnerable to the effects of drugs.
- Extract from : « What Works: Schools Without Drugs » by United States Department of Education
- And after all, even in England, even in Germany and Russia, there are more adults than adolescents.
- Extract from : « Crome Yellow » by Aldous Huxley
- Tuberculous onychia is met with in children and adolescents.
- Extract from : « Manual of Surgery » by Alexis Thomson and Alexander Miles
- Of what significance is the "gang spirit" to teachers of adolescents?
- Extract from : « Principles of Teaching » by Adam S. Bennion
- Adolescents can, do, and must—for the very simple reason that they have not yet had time to learn to react as adults.
- Extract from : « Unwise Child » by Gordon Randall Garrett
- The first is, that children are naturally receptive and responsive; the second, that adolescents are naturally idealistic.
- Extract from : « The Life of the Spirit and the Life of To-day » by Evelyn Underhill
- Adolescents, as a rule, begin early to take a great interest in their clothes.
- Extract from : « Youth and Sex » by Mary Scharlieb and F. Arthur Sibly
- It is all classed together, whether in adolescents or in hardened sinners, and one dose is applied.
- Extract from : « Religion & Sex » by Chapman Cohen
- Little children have very little power, adolescents a great deal, but it is the adult who excels in concentration.
- Extract from : « How to Teach » by George Drayton Strayer and Naomi Norsworthy
Antonyms for adolescents
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019