Synonyms for addiction
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : uh-dik-shuh n|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈdɪk ʃən|
Top 10 synonyms for addiction Other synonyms for the word addiction
Définition of addictionOrigin :
- c.1600, "tendency," of habits, pursuits, etc.; 1640s as "state of being self-addicted," from Latin addictionem (nominative addictio) "an awarding, a devoting," noun of action from past participle stem of addicere (see addict). Earliest sense was less severe: "inclination, penchant," but this has become obsolete. In main modern sense it is first attested 1906, in reference to opium (there is an isolated instance from 1779, with reference to tobacco).
- noun a habit of activity, often injurious
- The vice of those dusky noblemen is their addiction to drink.
- Extract from : « The Idler Magazine, Vol III. May 1893 » by Various
- They call themselves practical for having an addiction to the palpable.
- Extract from : « Lord Ormont and his Aminta, Complete » by George Meredith
- Its advertising invites to the formation of an addiction to the drug.
- Extract from : « The Great American Fraud » by Samuel Hopkins Adams
- The dependence thus formed can easily deteriorate into addiction.
- Extract from : « After the Rain » by Sam Vaknin
- The cause of this, I need hardly say, was his addiction to drinking.
- Extract from : « Bentley's Miscellany, Volume II » by Various
- Addiction to a drug incapacitates the pharmacist for filling prescriptions.
- Extract from : « Habits that Handicap » by Charles B. Towns
- Ireland has an ingenious theory to account for the addiction of the Dutch to tobacco.
- Extract from : « A Wanderer in Holland » by E. V. Lucas
- He kissed her cheek, imprinting thereon a Cupid's bow, by reason of his own addiction to the lipstick.
- Extract from : « Ptomaine Street » by Carolyn Wells
- He suffered from an intestinal disorder, aggravated by his addiction to some quack remedy.
- Extract from : « Nicolo Paganini: His Life and Work » by Stephen Samuel Stratton
- All these are the enduring forms of bhakti in Krishna, if they are joined by provocation and addiction of mind.
- Extract from : « Chaitanya's Life And Teachings » by Krishna das Kaviraja
Antonyms for addiction
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019