Synonyms for adamantine
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : ad-uh-man-teen, -tin, -tahyn|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˌæd əˈmæn tin, -tɪn, -taɪn|
Top 10 synonyms for adamantine Other synonyms for the word adamantine
Définition of adamantineOrigin :
- c.1200, from Latin adamantinus "hard as steel, inflexible," from Greek adamantinos, from adamas (see adamant (n.)).
- adj stubborn
- He yielded not; adamantine to the seductive lure, he picked up his heels and ran.
- Extract from : « The Black Bag » by Louis Joseph Vance
- And what a triumph for a thief to capture an adamantine heart!
- Extract from : « Penny of Top Hill Trail » by Belle Kanaris Maniates
- Its strength we feel, its adamantine fidelity to the House of Ulysses.
- Extract from : « Homer's Odyssey » by Denton J. Snider
- To polish diamonds they make use of the powder of adamantine spar, or the corundum stone.
- Extract from : « Travels in China, Containing Descriptions, Observations, and Comparisons, Made and Collected in the Course of a Short Residence at the Imperial Palace of Yuen-Min-Yuen, and on a Subsequent Journey through the Country from Pekin to Canton » by John Barrow
- "Much better for him to sleep than to say good-by," said this adamantine woman.
- Extract from : « Dodo's Daughter » by E. F. Benson
- But one of the chaplains had adamantine ideas on theological subjects.
- Extract from : « Trooper Bluegum at the Dardanelles » by Oliver Hogue
- Has man an adamantine frame, that he should outlast the trees of the field?
- Extract from : « A History of Chinese Literature » by Herbert A. Giles
- Why are we bound, by the habits of society, as with an adamantine chain?
- Extract from : « Memoirs of Emma Courtney » by Mary Hays
- God's beneficent sovereignty was to him the adamantine foundation of the Gospel.
- Extract from : « Fifty Notable Years » by John G. Adams
- His distress would have moved an adamantine heart, and was not a thing to cavil at.
- Extract from : « Jewel Mysteries » by Max Pemberton
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019