Synonyms for adage
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ad-ij|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈæd ɪdʒ|
Définition of adageOrigin :
- 1540s, Middle French adage, from Latin adagium "adage, proverb," apparently from adagio, from ad- "to" (see ad-) + *agi-, root of aio "I say," from PIE *ag- "to speak." But Tucker thinks the second element is rather ago "set in motion, drive, urge."
- noun saying or proverb
- A short life and a merry one,' seems the adage in favour here.
- Extract from : « The O'Donoghue » by Charles James Lever
- "'It never rains but it pours,' says the Irish adage," resumed she.
- Extract from : « Barrington » by Charles James Lever
- It was a first love of mine, and, as the adage says, 'only revient toujours.'
- Extract from : « The Daltons, Volume I (of II) » by Charles James Lever
- The explanation of this adage is not here assumed, nor its community of relation.
- Extract from : « Dwellers in the Hills » by Melville Davisson Post
- He subscribes to the adage: 'Love so, as if you may hate one day, and hate so, as if you may love one day'.
- Extract from : « Erasmus and the Age of Reformation » by Johan Huizinga
- In them, the adage was verified, "As thy days so shall thy strength be."
- Extract from : « Old Rail Fence Corners » by Various
- Merriman repeated to himself the adage, though he did not find it at all comforting.
- Extract from : « The Pit Prop Syndicate » by Freeman Wills Crofts
- "You're playing with me like the cat in the adage," he sighed.
- Extract from : « The Wit and Humor of America, Volume X (of X) » by Various
- There was no insurance in those days; La Salle did indeed experience the truth of the adage that "sorrows come in troops."
- Extract from : « The Adventures of the Chevalier De La Salle and His Companions, in Their Explorations of the Prairies, Forests, Lakes, and Rivers, of the New World, and Their Interviews with the Savage Tribes, Two Hundred Years Ago » by John S. C. Abbott
- He was a strong believer in the adage, "Where there is a will, there is a way."
- Extract from : « Condemned as a Nihilist » by George Alfred Henty
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019