Synonyms for absorb
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ab-sawrb, -zawrb|
|Phonetic Transcription : æbˈsɔrb, -ˈzɔrb|
Top 10 synonyms for absorb Other synonyms for the word absorb
Définition of absorbOrigin :
- early 15c., from Middle French absorber (Old French assorbir, 13c.), from Latin absorbere "to swallow up," from ab- "from" (see ab-) + sorbere "suck in," from PIE root *srebh- "to suck, absorb" (cf. Armenian arbi "I drank," Greek rhopheo "to sup greedily up, gulp down," Lithuanian srebiu "to drink greedily"). Figurative meaning "to completely grip (one's) attention" is from 1763. Related: Absorbed; absorbing.
- verb physically take in a liquid
- verb mentally take in information
- verb occupy complete attention
- Accordingly he tried to absorb himself in his thoughts and listen to nothing.
- Extract from : « The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete » by Emile Zola
- And meanwhile what began to interest and absorb me were sources--testimony.
- Extract from : « A Writer's Recollections (In Two Volumes), Volume I » by Mrs. Humphry Ward
- Does she suppose wounds of different kinds to "absorb" each other, so to speak?
- Extract from : « A Tangled Tale » by Lewis Carroll
- These absorb the nourishment and turn it over to the embryo.
- Extract from : « The Meaning of Evolution » by Samuel Christian Schmucker
- He watched Pederson absorb that, too; he saw the excitement grow.
- Extract from : « We're Friends, Now » by Henry Hasse
- Do not work on an empty stomach-you can then absorb lead easily.
- Extract from : « The Automobile Storage Battery » by O. A. Witte
- And it is as important to help him express as to help him absorb.
- Extract from : « College Teaching » by Paul Klapper
- Loved with a love that threatened to absorb even her physical existence.
- Extract from : « Garrison's Finish » by W. B. M. Ferguson
- Not that he took little interest in it, but it had no power to absorb and engross him.
- Extract from : « Barrington » by Charles James Lever
- If fish has not been wiped dry it will absorb too much grease.
- Extract from : « Boy Scouts Handbook » by Boy Scouts of America
Antonyms for absorb
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019