Synonyms for abhor
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ab-hawr|
|Phonetic Transcription : æbˈhɔr|
Définition of abhorOrigin :
- mid-15c., from Latin abhorrere "shrink back from, have an aversion for, shudder at," from ab- "away" (see ab-) + horrere "tremble at, shudder," literally "to bristle, be shaggy," from PIE *ghers- "start out, stand out, rise to a point, bristle" (see horror). Related: Abhorred; abhorring.
- verb regard with contempt or disgust
- It is only for being what is called by that name that I abhor him.
- Extract from : « Malbone » by Thomas Wentworth Higginson
- I should abhor these clandestine correspondences, were they not forced upon me.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- I did abhor those that were in the plot and conspiracy against the King.
- Extract from : « The Historical Nights' Entertainment » by Rafael Sabatini
- For how can they who commit crimes be in good amity with those that abhor them?
- Extract from : « The Memorable Thoughts of Socrates » by Xenophon
- Is there one among us who approves of the treachery you abhor?'
- Extract from : « The Continental Monthly, Vol. 4, No. 2, August, 1863 » by Various
- I came to hate the sight of the steward, to abhor the voice of that harmless man.
- Extract from : « The Secret Sharer » by Joseph Conrad
- It is well known that we hate and abhor anything in the shape of a legal debt.
- Extract from : « Nuts and Nutcrackers » by Charles James Lever
- I abhor roasting in my own person, and yet I knew I should have enough of it.
- Extract from : « Blackwoods Edinburgh Magazine, Volume 59, No. 366, April, 1846 » by Various
- And though he adord the Maid, whether he should not abhor the Nun in his Embraces?
- Extract from : « The Works of Aphra Behn » by Aphra Behn
- They cannot compel me, against my will, to live with a man whom I abhor.
- Extract from : « The Masked Bridal » by Mrs. Georgie Sheldon
Antonyms for abhor
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019