Synonyms for abetted
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-bet|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈbɛt|
Top 10 synonyms for abetted Other synonyms for the word abetted
Définition of abettedOrigin :
- late 14c. (implied in abetting), from Old French abeter "to bait, to harass with dogs," literally "to cause to bite," from a- "to" (see ad-) + beter "to bait," from a Germanic source, perhaps Low Franconian betan "incite," or Old Norse beita "cause to bite," from Proto-Germanic *baitjan, from PIE root *bheid- "to split" (see fissure). Related: Abetted; abetting.
- verb assist, help in wrongdoing
- You have abetted him in it, and very kind of you it was to do so.
- Extract from : « Barnaby Rudge » by Charles Dickens
- Their being aided and abetted by Lysander was sufficient; he sent them away discomfited.
- Extract from : « Hellenica » by Xenophon
- Mre administered the necessary rebuke, aided and abetted by the daughters.
- Extract from : « In a Little Town » by Rupert Hughes
- "Your Aunt Zilpah has aided and abetted you in your flirting," raged the captain.
- Extract from : « Blow The Man Down » by Holman Day
- Fortunately, his desire to remain in the background was abetted by Tex Lynch.
- Extract from : « Shoe-Bar Stratton » by Joseph Bushnell Ames
- She abetted his idleness by supplying him with too much money.
- Extract from : « Uncle Sam's Boys in the Ranks » by H. Irving Hancock
- The devil, possibly,” the man had replied, “but aided and abetted by yourself.
- Extract from : « Antony Gray,--Gardener » by Leslie Moore
- It looks like the five of us have abetted an invasion from Mars.
- Extract from : « The Dope on Mars » by John Michael Sharkey
- In this, of course, they unwittingly aided and abetted the cereal fakers.
- Extract from : « All About Coffee » by William H. Ukers
- If any one was imagined to have aided and abetted his flight it was myself and Harry Arnold.
- Extract from : « Buckskin Mose » by Buckskin Mose
Antonyms for abetted
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019