Synonyms for abet
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-bet|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈbɛt|
Top 10 synonyms for abet Other synonyms for the word abet
Définition of abetOrigin :
- late 14c. (implied in abetting), from Old French abeter "to bait, to harass with dogs," literally "to cause to bite," from a- "to" (see ad-) + beter "to bait," from a Germanic source, perhaps Low Franconian betan "incite," or Old Norse beita "cause to bite," from Proto-Germanic *baitjan, from PIE root *bheid- "to split" (see fissure). Related: Abetted; abetting.
- verb assist, help in wrongdoing
- He has killed the king's men; and if the baron should aid and abet, he will lose his castle and land.
- Extract from : « Maid Marian » by Thomas Love Peacock
- Lucy smiled at the bare-faced fraud and hastened to abet it.
- Extract from : « Hidden Water » by Dane Coolidge
- She had striven to aid and abet this distinguished and worthy gentleman in his suit.
- Extract from : « Under Fire » by Charles King
- And you will not abet revolutionary measures if you get into Parliament?
- Extract from : « Kenelm Chillingly, Complete » by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- How does abet differ from incite and instigate as to the time of the action?
- Extract from : « English Synonyms and Antonyms » by James Champlin Fernald
- That were to place her where she could abet the design of Phillip to invade England.
- Extract from : « In Doublet and Hose » by Lucy Foster Madison
- She will listen to the wooing of some gallant, and my Lady Pembroke will abet it, and then—'
- Extract from : « Penshurst Castle » by Emma Marshall
- It was a new departure for Anne so openly to abet her mother, and it wounded him.
- Extract from : « Moth and Rust » by Mary Cholmondeley
- Have you,” adds the Saint, “any hope in God—what Christian can help you or abet you?
- Extract from : « Insula Sanctorum et Doctorum » by John Healy
- All the better, my dear young lady, that is if you are willing to aid and abet me a little.
- Extract from : « The Celebrity at Home » by Violet Hunt
Antonyms for abet
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019