Synonyms for abashed
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : uh-basht|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈbæʃt|
Top 10 synonyms for abashed
Définition of abashedOrigin :
- "perplex, embarrass," early 15c., earlier "lose one's composure, be upset" (late 14c.), from Old French esbaiss-, present stem of esbaer "gape with astonishment," from es "out" (see ex-) + ba(y)er "to be open, gape," from Latin *batare "to yawn, gape," from root *bat, possibly imitative of yawning. Related: Abashed; abashing. Bashful is a 16c. derivative.
- adj exhibiting mental discomfort, ill at ease
- Let ridicule be abashed before the majesty of such characters!
- Extract from : « Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. II » by Francis Augustus Cox
- Mr. Blackwell, abashed and perplexed, returned to his companion.
- Extract from : « Night and Morning, Complete » by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- The young man did not appear in the least abashed by this remark.
- Extract from : « A Woman Intervenes » by Robert Barr
- It humbled and abashed the man, and made him still more irresolute and uncertain.
- Extract from : « Barnaby Rudge » by Charles Dickens
- It was a situation which might have abashed a bolder ruffian.
- Extract from : « The Avenger » by E. Phillips Oppenheim
- The ruler of Tripoli was abashed by this display of American energy and valor.
- Extract from : « Harper's Young People, August 3, 1880 » by Various
- Then he regarded his abashed but excited hearers with a steady and prolonged stare.
- Extract from : « Keziah Coffin » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- She was abashed by the roar of laughter that followed the proposal.
- Extract from : « Wild Justice: Stories of the South Seas » by Lloyd Osbourne
- For a moment it almost seemed as if her aunt were abashed at the passion of her protest.
- Extract from : « The Golden Woman » by Ridgwell Cullum
- He shrank back into abashed silence, his lips working wordlessly.
- Extract from : « Once to Every Man » by Larry Evans
Antonyms for abashed
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019