Synonyms for aardvark
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ahrd-vahrk|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈɑrdˌvɑrk|
Définition of aardvarkOrigin :
- 1833, from Afrikaans Dutch aardvark, literally "earth-pig" (the animal burrows), from aard "earth" (see earth) + vark "pig," cognate with Old High German farah (source of German Ferkel "young pig, sucking pig," a diminutive form), Old English fearh (see farrow).
- noun nocturnal animal
- The name ant-eater is also given to the pangolins and to the aardvark.
- Extract from : « The New Gresham Encyclopedia. Vol. 1 Part 2 » by Various
- They got him in the hole like an aardvark, with a bush over the mouth, so you couldn't see it.
- Extract from : « Trooper Peter Halket of Mashonaland » by Olive Schreiner
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019