Antonyms for selfish
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : sel-fish|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈsɛl fɪʃ|
Definition of selfishOrigin :
- 1630s, from self- + -ish. Said in Hacket's life of Archbishop Williams (1693) to have been coined by Presbyterians. In the 17c., synonyms included self-seeking (1620s), self-ended and self-ful.
- Let us understand what our own selfish genes are up to, because we may then at least have the chance to upset their designs. [Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene," 1976]
- Related: Selfishly; selfishness. Cf. similar formations in German selbstisch, Swedish sjelfvisk, Danish selvisk.
- adj thinking only of oneself
- It ain't a selfish feeling, so I know there's some good in it.
- Extract from : « Malbone » by Thomas Wentworth Higginson
- It is a spirit contracted in its views, selfish in its objects.
- Extract from : « United States Presidents' Inaugural Speeches » by Various
- She had no affection for this selfish invalid, this weak, peevish bully.
- Extract from : « Life and Death of Harriett Frean » by May Sinclair
- But the feelings of Cornelius in no case deserved consideration—they were so selfish.
- Extract from : « Weighed and Wanting » by George MacDonald
- We could at least enjoy the selfish satisfaction of faring better than our neighbours.
- Extract from : « The Roof of France » by Matilda Betham-Edwards
- He had raised the boy wrong—he had taught him to be selfish.
- Extract from : « K » by Mary Roberts Rinehart
- They are both afraid, now that Mrs. Whitney—selfish creature!
- Extract from : « The Bacillus of Beauty » by Harriet Stark
- He was a selfish man, and wanted the glory of the day to be all his own.
- Extract from : « In the Midst of Alarms » by Robert Barr
- We have been selfish, sister, in urging our visit at such hazard.
- Extract from : « The Last of the Mohicans » by James Fenimore Cooper
- How do you know Antoun Effendi thinks you selfish and obstinate?
- Extract from : « It Happened in Egypt » by C. N. Williamson
Synonyms for selfish
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019