Antonyms for normal
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : nawr-muh l|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈnɔr məl|
Definition of normalOrigin :
- c.1500, "typical, common;" 1640s, "standing at a right angle," from Late Latin normalis "in conformity with rule, normal," from Latin normalis "made according to a carpenter's square," from norma "rule, pattern," literally "carpenter's square" (see norm). Meaning "conforming to common standards, usual" is from 1828, but probably older than the record [Barnhart].
- As a noun meaning "usual state or condition," from 1890. Sense of "normal person or thing" is from 1894. Normal school (1834) is from French école normale (1794), a republican foundation. The city of Normal, Illinois, U.S., was named 1857 for the normal school established there.
- adj common, usual
- adj sane, rational
- Our supreme task is the resumption of our onward, normal way.
- Extract from : « United States Presidents' Inaugural Speeches » by Various
- I don't believe there is a healthy, normal man living who has not his dream.
- Extract from : « Her Father's Daughter » by Gene Stratton-Porter
- And this energy is utilized at one-half the normal engine speed.
- Extract from : « Flying Machines » by W.J. Jackman and Thos. H. Russell
- Egyptian history is too troublesome, anyhow, for a normal man to grasp.
- Extract from : « It Happened in Egypt » by C. N. Williamson
- Slowly the light in the schooner descended to its normal position.
- Extract from : « The Inn at the Red Oak » by Latta Griswold
- For each there exists a normal rate of travel, beyond which are penalties.
- Extract from : « The Forest » by Stewart Edward White
- This was his Earth, his and Grim's and Wat's, and of millions of other normal human beings.
- Extract from : « Slaves of Mercury » by Nat Schachner
- It is inaccurate, for instance, to use 63¢ as the basis for the normal differential.
- Extract from : « About sugar buying for Jobbers » by B. W. Dyer
- Somehow the presence of the beast restored Kay's mind to normal.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science, November, 1930 » by Various
- Poe, and the imitators of Poe, have been regarded too often by our people as the normal type of poet.
- Extract from : « The American Mind » by Bliss Perry
Synonyms for normal
- all there
- compos mentis
- in good health
- in one's right mind
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019