Antonyms for nepotism
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : nep-uh-tiz-uh m|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈnɛp əˌtɪz əm|
Definition of nepotismOrigin :
- "favoritism shown to relatives, especially in appointment to high office," 1660s, from French népotisme (1650s), from Italian nepotismo, from nepote "nephew," from Latin nepotem (nominative nepos) "grandson, nephew" (see nephew). Originally, practice of granting privileges to a pope's "nephew" which was a euphemism for his natural son.
- noun favoritism
- There is a sense in which corruption is not so narrow as nepotism.
- Extract from : « What I Saw in America » by G. K. Chesterton
- American nepotism puts to shame the one practised in Europe.
- Extract from : « Diary from March 4, 1861, to November 12, 1862 » by Adam Gurowski
- So the charge of nepotism against the chief magistrate was weak.
- Extract from : « Alonzo Fitz and Other Stories » by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
- As to his nepotism, simony, and fraud, there was no doubt at all.
- Extract from : « The Rise of the Dutch Republic, Volume I.(of III) 1555-66 » by John Lothrop Motley
- It is poor Pitou, he said in accomplishing this act of nepotism.
- Extract from : « The Hero of the People » by Alexandre Dumas
- The professoriate was grossly ignorant and conceited, and nepotism was rampant.
- Extract from : « Hugh Miller » by William Keith Leask
- After all, I am rather a believer in nepotism, not too exaggerated.
- Extract from : « Diplomatic Days » by Edith O'Shaughnessy
- She bids him destroy the nepotism and luxury that are ruining the Church.
- Extract from : « The Story of Siena and San Gimignano » by Edmund G. Gardner
- These two plagues – cronyism and nepotism – haunt public procurement.
- Extract from : « After the Rain » by Sam Vaknin
- He has entered on the fatal path of nepotism, in which I shall decline to follow him.
- Extract from : « Talleyrand » by Joseph McCabe
Synonyms for nepotism
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019