Antonyms for ignominious
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : ig-nuh-min-ee-uhs|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˌɪg nəˈmɪn i əs|
Definition of ignominiousOrigin :
- early 15c., from Middle French ignominieux (14c.) or directly from Latin ignominiosus "disgraceful, shameful," from ignominia "loss of a (good) name," from assimilated form of in- "not, opposite of" (see in- (1)) + nomen (genitive nominis) "name" (see name). Influenced by Old Latin gnoscere "come to know." Related: Ignominiously; ignominiousness.
- adj humiliating
- adj offensive
- A groan of distress burst from him, and he fled the place in ignominious rout.
- Extract from : « Within the Law » by Marvin Dana
- He pleasantly promises the ignominious death of your chief friends.
- Extract from : « In the Valley » by Harold Frederic
- But this was a death of the most ignominious and painful description.
- Extract from : « Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. II » by Francis Augustus Cox
- Such an experiment was at all events predestined to an ignominious failure.
- Extract from : « Heroes of the Telegraph » by J. Munro
- But of all these numerous occasions the most ignominious was shortly after the affair with the Grizzly.
- Extract from : « Johnny Bear » by E. T. Seton
- The method of his capture seemed to him quite as ignominious as the fact.
- Extract from : « The Inn at the Red Oak » by Latta Griswold
- Mine was now an ignominious role, indeed, yet I knew it was best.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science, November, 1930 » by Various
- They are all traitors; and will only hurry us the sooner, if we suffer ourselves to be deceived by them, to an ignominious death!
- Extract from : « The Secret Memoirs of Louis XV./XVI, Complete » by Madame du Hausset, an "Unknown English Girl" and the Princess Lamballe
- Ignominious as such a course must be, it is often the only one left.
- Extract from : « Charles O'Malley, The Irish Dragoon, Volume 2 (of 2) » by Charles Lever
- What an ignominious climax to what had promised to be a royal holiday!
- Extract from : « Steve and the Steam Engine » by Sara Ware Bassett
Synonyms for ignominious
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019